Belgium ‘Uniquely Phenomenal’ is an award-winning marketing programme funded by the federal government which, since 2017, has been promoting Belgian tourism. It generates desire to visit our ‘plat pays’ through the use of a distinctly Belgian, quirky, modest tonality and activation style.
The Chancellery of the Belgium Prime Minister searched for a partner to turn around the negative perception of Belgium as a result of the highly echoed terrorist attacks in 2016 which collaterally damaged the tourism industry and the country’s image. The proclaimed aim was to increase tourism, remind people of Belgium’s positive sides as well as attracting investors.
From the outset in 2017, the creative strategy for ‘Belgium. Uniquely Phenomenal’ has been built on very specific behavioural insights: Belgians are modest and they cultivate self-mockery. They are proud of their country’s treasures and talents but only in a very down to earth way. Belgians would rather laugh than brag.
The campaign has developed a very Belgian, very quirky tonality to convey the country’s appeal for tourists and investors. We have used humour and modesty to sell its attractions. The key campaign line was “99 reasons why Belgium is uniquely phenomenal. Because 100 would be a bit over the top.”
The campaign is skilfully advanced through a strategic bouquet of multiple types of media:
- The website www.uniquelyphenomenal.be is the campaign hub as a creative gathering point for “99 reasons to visit Belgium – because 100 would be over the top”.
- Facebook and Instagram are consistently used with crafted short video content carefully targeted at defined interest groups.
- OOH is used at high traffic tourism locations in Belgium.
- An extensive PR, influence & partnership program target foreign journalists in a bespoke way and influencers for leisure tourism
- Events are organised in Belgium and in our targeted market.